Saturday, November 5, 2011

Cafe Medina

   
<>
Olive Tapenade

I'm a big fan of Chambar Belgian restaurant. It's been my long standing pre - restaurant. Meaning it’s the go to place pre game, pre theatre, downtown outing. When I crave mussels and fries, Chambar has the best in the city. Cafe Medina is Chambers’ sister restaurant next door. Were Chambar is open for dinner only Cafe Medina is open for breakfast lunch brunch and special events. A nice fit.
You can certainly tell that the same hand is in on the menu chef and owner Nico Schuermans has a certain distinguishable touch. Outside of mussel frites and waffles and beer I am painfully ignorant of Belgian cuisine but here as with Chambar there is a distinctively Moroccan fusion and west coast style.
I had the, Canard confit
Duck confit, sour cherry compote, brie, anjou pears an pecan raison sourdough. Watercress and caramelized pecans.

When I ordered I didn't know that it was a sandwich. But I was pleasantly surprised because I love almost anything between two pieces of bread. The canard sandwich was flavourful, sweat and totally hit the spot and BTW paired beautifully with my apricot beer.

My dining companion (DC) had the Paella.
Duck
Paella
Baked egg, curried orzo, Hungarian chorizo, zucchini, red pepper, roasted corn, grana padano. Watercress, tomatoes, avocado.

Unfortunatly she came away unimpressed, primarily because she didn't read the small print, orzo pealle, not rice, she was looking for rice and the dish never rebounded, she ate half before giving up.

DC Wei looked like she got the prize, the fricassee was phenomenal, and I had some.

2 eggs, braised short ribs, roasted potatoes, caramelized onions, arugula and smoked applewood cheddar. Grilled foccacia.
Fricassee
Fricassee in this case is French for short rib hash and it’s a standout everything comes together. I would wait in line for this one.
Definitely check cafe medina out for brunch lunch or whenever it's open.


No comments:

Post a Comment